US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Washington will wait for Tehran’s response to a proposed peace plan for several days, as efforts continue to finalise the text of an agreement between the two countries.
The statement comes after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced earlier in the day that the United States was ready to implement its sanctions package against Iran, which has been a major point of contention in ongoing talks.
Al Arabiya reported on Wednesday that sources close to the negotiations said that the completion of the agreement could be announced within the next few hours, as both sides engage in intense discussions over the terms of the deal.
The proposed agreement is aimed at easing tensions between the US and Iran, which have been escalating since the US withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in May last year.
Trump’s statement suggests that Washington is prepared to wait for Tehran to provide a clear response before proceeding with any further steps.
The US has imposed several rounds of sanctions on Iran since withdrawing from the JCPOA, which was designed to limit the country’s nuclear programme in exchange for economic relief.
Iran has responded by violating key aspects of the agreement, including limiting its uranium enrichment activities and increasing its missile development capabilities.
The ongoing talks between US and Iranian officials aim to address these issues and find a mutually acceptable solution.
In a statement on Twitter, Pompeo said that the US was ‘ready to negotiate in good faith’ with Iran, but emphasized that Washington would not back down on its demands for greater transparency and accountability from Tehran.
The situation remains highly volatile, with both sides engaging in verbal sparring and each other’s officials issuing statements that are often critical and confrontational.
Despite the tensions, US officials have maintained that they remain committed to finding a peaceful resolution to the crisis, which has raised concerns about regional stability and global security.
In recent days, Trump has hinted at the possibility of meeting with Iranian leaders, although no official dates or locations have been announced.
The prospects for a deal are uncertain, but diplomats on both sides say that they are working hard to find common ground and reach a mutually acceptable agreement.
As the situation continues to unfold, one thing is clear: the fate of the US-Iran relationship hangs in the balance, with millions of people around the world watching anxiously to see what happens next.
In related news:
- Air Force General John Hyten, the US ambassador to NATO, said that Washington was ‘looking for a way’ to work with Iran on missile development.
- The US has also imposed sanctions on several Iranian companies and individuals accused of supporting Hezbollah, a Shia militant group based in Lebanon.
0 Comments
Join the Conversation
Sign in to leave a comment and be part of the Pyrupay community.
Registration is free and takes less than a minute.